podcast show notes | episode 015 | weed the garden
This blog post serves as SHOW NOTES for our podcast — Cultivate a Good Life. This is not a comprehensive outline of everything discussed in this specific episode. The notes, links, and tips below are just some of what was mentioned. Everything we’re highlighting here will certainly make so much more sense when you’ve listened to this episode. If you haven’t already listened, you definitely should. And you should also just go ahead and subscribe to the podcast. It’s good stuff. Also, these notes show up in the order that they came up during the show.
So many of us are caught up in the busy-ness of life and feeling burdened or overwhelmed. It’s time to get more intentional than ever — and it is NOT about adding more to what we already have going on. We’re talking about eliminating things from our life in order to increase our happiness and feel more peace. “Weeding the garden” will help us to be more focused on what matters MOST.
Direct link to the episode on iTunes is HERE.
Clean Simple Eats
We are so grateful for this episode’s sponsor — Clean Simple Eats!
Clean Simple Eats has taken the guesswork out of how to make clean eating a reality. They produce meal plans in physical and digital format. When you purchase a plan, you get access to workouts and a Facebook group as well as grocery lists and prep ideas. They give you the skills to be successful! They also have a CSE challenge which includes an all-expenses paid trip to Disneyland. To get a free 7-day sample meal plan, visit their website cleansimpleeats.com. Enter BECKY15 at checkout to receive $15 off of any meal plan.
Follow them on Facebook: cleansimpleeats
Visit their website: Clean Simple Eats.com
Visit their Instagram: @cleansimpleeats
These are the main points we covered in the show. Keep in mind that all of these are expanded upon in the episode. This is just a refresher to remind you because there were so many tips covered.
“We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the ‘thick of thin things.’ In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes” [ Thomas S. Monson ]
WAYS TO BE MORE INTENTIONAL
- Think about what the most beautiful flowers are (or should be) in your garden. Decide what you want to show up more.
- Ask yourself — What do I want to do that will truly bear fruit?
- Create some stillness and really take a hard look at each area of your life.
- Ask yourself — What are several things that, if eliminated in your life, would result in positive changes or help you to grow closer to your potential?
“If we look at us only through our mortal eyes, we may not see ourselves as good enough. But our Heavenly Father sees us as who we truly are and who we can become.” [ Dieter F. Uchtdorf ]
EXAMPLES OF “WEEDING THE GARDEN” SUCCESS
Here are some things that Becky Higgins has worked hard to eliminate in the past:
– NO WORK ON SUNDAY. Keep the Sabbath Day holy. Regard this sacred day as a gift and don’t work.
– STOP OVERANALYZING what I think others think of me.
– OVER-SCHEDULED KIDS. Place higher value on time together as a family.
– HOLD NO GRUDGES. Let go of hurt feelings. Forgive. Make the choice to let it go! “That grudge is weighing you down way more than it is hurting the other person.”
– STOP VOLUNTEERING FOR EVERYTHING. Make sure the things you volunteer for are the things you’re meant to volunteer for.
– DECLUTTERING AT HOME. It’s incredibly freeing and cleansing.
– ELIMINATE NOISE IN THE CAR SOMETIMES. Especially when kids are not in the car. Stillness and quiet are essential and bring so much peace and clarity.
EXAMPLES OF 2019 GOALS
These personal examples of more things that can be eliminated come from both Beckys, respectively.
– When thinking about this for yourself, consider all categories of your life. For example — spiritual, marriage, family, home, hobbies, health, work, financial, etc.
– FAST FOOD. BH wants to be better about eliminating this, which will require better planning.
– EMAIL. BH likes to keep those inbox numbers low, so she’s planning to be better about unsubscribing to junk email that is unimportant and irrelevant in her life.
– MORE GRACE. BP wants to have more grace — for herself, others, and situations.
“Peace comes in knowing that being more does not necessarily equate to doing more.” [ Michelle Lynn Craig ]
Links discussed in the podcast:
Marie Condo Book – The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
CONNECT WITH US!
Email us. We’d love your feedback! firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spread the word! We would be so grateful if you shared about our podcast with your friends. Post on social media, text a buddy, whatever floats your boat. And leaving a review on iTunes would just make you our favorite.