podcast show notes | episode 004 | kids + technology
This blog post serves as SHOW NOTES for our podcast — Cultivate a Good Life. This is not a comprehensive outline of everything discussed in this specific episode. The notes, links, and tips below are just some of what was mentioned. Everything we’re highlighting here will certainly make so much more sense when you’ve listened to this episode. If you haven’t already listened, you definitely should. And you should also just go ahead and subscribe to the podcast. It’s good stuff. Also, these notes show up in the order that they came up during the show.
Oh man. Where to even begin, right? It’s a conversation that needs to happen and in this episode we invited a guest, Molly Ashton (BH Project Manager), to share her personal experience as she has become quite passionate about this topic over the past few years. If you’re interested in being enlightened with nuggets of inspiration that will empower you … if you want some tools to help you protect your family … you’ll definitely appreciate this conversation that is fun and NOT fear-based.
We invite you to be a part of this incredible community by following us on Instagram — @CultivateAGoodLife. Oh, and pretty please leave us a review on iTunes; it would mean the WORLD to us! Plus, we randomly pick listeners who do leave reviews, to win awesome stuff.
Link to this episode: BeckyHiggins.com/Podcast
The sponsor of this episode is the BH Classroom!
Visit the classroom website: Classroom.BeckyHiggins.com where you can watch a short video and review the curriculum for my online course that will help you take better pictures with your phone AND get a handle on the workflow, organization, and sharing of your pictures.
Want to save $10 off the class fee? Enter BECKY10 at checkout. That’s the ONLY way to save on this course.
Recorded Facebook Live broadcast that Molly did on this topic of kids & technology can be found here.
TED talk by Simon Sinek about the affects of media can be found here.
Boundaries in Molly’s family re: technology:
- Phones always put away during meals
- Charging spot during family time instead of phones being “on” them
- Everyone’s devices charge in their master bedroom at night
- No phones at family events
- No phones in the bathroom
- No phones in the car
- No phones at restaurants
- No devices on Sunday
- No devices on school mornings
- No devices before 11:00 on Saturday mornings
- No devices in their bedrooms, especially with door closed
This is the charging station that we talked about.
Regarding explicit content … Molly’s tips:
- Restrictions on individual devices
- Kids can’t add their own apps
- Kids don’t have Internet on their phones
- Enable “safe search” on computers
- Remove “incognito” from computers
- Circle by Disney; K9; OpenDNS
- Monitoring software Accountable to You
- Time limits / restrictions in latest iOS update (in settings)
- Our Pact is another great app
Steps for restrictions on phones between iCloud accounts:
Social media. Check out this blog post about Social Media Tips – For Teens and For Us, which also includes a downloadable handout that you may print and share.
Leg wrestling. As promised, Becky Proudfit and Molly DID have a leg wrestling match in the office after recording this episode — and we will share that on the @CultivateAGoodLife Instagram. You’re welcome. ; )
Video of baby laughing hysterically can be found here.
Links to our Instagram accounts:
Email us. We’d love your feedback! email@example.com.
Spread the word! We would be so grateful if you shared about our podcast with your friends. Post on social media, text a buddy, whatever floats your boat. And leaving a review on iTunes would just make you our favorite.
Upcoming LIVE events where you can find us! Everyone’s invited!
- Oct. 23 from 10-12. It’s our BH Birthday / Podcast Launch Party at SodaRush in Gilbert, AZ! My team will be there, too!
- Nov. 9-10 is the Pinners Conference in Scottsdale, AZ. We’ll have a booth there for selling merchandise and visiting with anyone that comes by, and I’ll also be teaching a couple classes.
- Nov. 27 from 2-7 pm is our BH Favorite Things Fall Boutique at our headquarters in Peoria, AZ.