touring our guest room
David and I have always opened our home to others. Our family enjoys having friends, family, and neighbors over. For our overnight guests, we are grateful to have a dedicated guest “suite” (bedroom + bathroom) – and the room is actually used quite often. We wouldn’t have it any other way. Sometimes it’s just one person for a quick overnighter. Sometimes we have a whole family staying with us for a week.
And with that, we always invite our overnight guests to sign the Guest Book – which, of course, includes a few pictures from their stay. We’ve kept up this tradition ever since moving into our first “real house” in 1998. You can see glimpses of our current Guest Book in my July 22, 2013, blog post. Today I thought I’d share this space with you. I cringe a little that this might come across as show & tell. I don’t mean it that way … which is probably why I haven’t even blogged about the guest room for the nearly 8 years we’ve lived in this house.
A few notes
- The sheets are clean & the room is completely ready on any given day … just in case (in other words, the kids don’t go in there).
- I always put the sleeping pillows behind the pretty pillows.
- If I remember, I put a little treat of some kind on the side table as a fun welcome gift.
- There is always some sort of inspirational type of book on the nightstand.
NOTE: Many of these things were purchased many years ago, so it’s not likely that they’re still available. I’m just sharing sources in an effort to answer the questions that may be asked. : )
- Bed – Some furniture store that has since closed
- Quilt – Pottery Barn
- White pillow shams – Bed, Bath, and Beyond
- Floral shams & rectangle pillow – Fabric from Fabric Depot in Phoenix, AZ and pillow covers custom made by my seamstress friend Rachel Despain
- Dresser – Potato Barn in AZ
- Large picture frames – Michaels (they’re 28″ x 20″) and I had the prints made at Costco
- Night stands – Potato Barn in AZ
- Big metal thing on the wall – Can’t remember
- Frames with patterned paper to the right of the bed – Razmataz (Arizona furniture store, but I’m not sure if they’re still in business); I spray-painted them white and put patterned paper in there (probably from Basic Grey, but it’s been so long I don’t really remember).
- Clock on the nightstand – Pottery Barn
- Bowl with fake artichoke things in it – Can’t remember, but I spray-painted it yellow
- Tall, skinny stand with square wreath – Can’t remember
- (3) turquoise things on the dresser – Home Goods
- Yellow lamp – Home Goods
- Chair & pillow in the corner – Chair from Potato Barn, pillow from Target (recently!)
- shower curtain – Target
- trio frame in bathroom – It’s a plate rack from probably from Pier 1 Imports that I spray-painted black. The (3) “frameless frames” are either from Pier 1 Imports or IKEA. Suddenly I’m craving a field trip to IKEA.
- Yellow towels – most likely Home Goods
- My jacket (which I seriously could wear every day) – lululemon
At Home with Becky
This post is part of a weekly blog series called At Home with Becky. Each Wednesday, I share a little something from home – routines, organization, traditions, decor, etc. Coming up … my makeup routine, favorite recipes, and an idea for Valentine’s Day.