photo books vs. prints
Our photo books are now available through the Project Life® App (all the exclamation marks – seriously!) and we are so stoked that you now have this option for getting your scrapbook pages from the Project Life App printed in a bound book. We’ve tested the photo books extensively and for real, you guys are going to flip over the finished product. The quality is phenomenal — from the cover types to the printed pages, we know you’ll flip over all of it!
Before we dive into all the stuff there is to know about the photo books, here’s a quick re-cap on the printing choices with the app.
Option 1: Order prints. Each individual page created in the app is a photographic print. The prints are meant to slip into page protectors, which are then kept in an album. A big advantage of doing it this way is that you can add pages to a scrapbook along the way instead of waiting until the completion of a whole book project. Also, this works well for “hybrid” scrapbooking where you can include everything from printed app pages to physical pocket pages to traditional / creative scrapbook pages all in the same book.
Option 2: Order photo books. A collection of app pages is brought together in one thin photo book. All pages are bound together and pages are printed double-sided. A big advantage of doing it this way is that the books are much thinner / less bulky than albums. There’s also no space (a.k.a. rings) between two facing pages, so it’s a very classy, polished, finished product.
As with scrapbooking in general, there’s no right or wrong way to do this. We are thrilled to offer options and as always, I encourage you to find whichever is the best fit for YOU and for your specific project needs. The point of this blog post is to spell out the price comparisons between the two options when ordering through the app so you don’t have to go through all the math yourself. ; )
A bit about the photo books
Our photo books come with 2 cover options – Faux Leather (available in 6 colors) or a Custom Photo Cover that will fill the cover and spine area (the back of the book will be white). Here are those 6 color options in the Faux Leather . . .
And the Custom Photo Cover option allows you to add any picture you want . . . or something you’ve scanned (artwork, fabric, a favorite patterned paper, etc.) . . . or something you’ve whipped up digitally . . . or, you get the idea. You’re not limited to just photographs. It’s “custom” after all! Here’s an example of dropping a family picture into the cover. Keep scrolling and you’ll see a white photo book cover that says “the first twenty years”. I literally just wrote that out with a Sharpie on white cardstock, scanned it, and made that the cover. See? Endless possibilities!
The base price of the photo book includes 10 pages (one page = 2 sides so that’s 20 designed pages that you make in the app). In order to maintain the quality of the binding, the maximum number of pages that can be included in our photo books is 30 double-sided pages. This shows the thinnest and thickest photo book examples, to give you an idea. The spine is consistently 1/2″ thick, no matter how many pages you add. More on the page limitation explained in this blog post.
It’s worth noting that this blog post includes more tips & tricks that would be good for you to review before you start your first photo book, so be sure to check that out.
If you’re like me, you appreciate information upfront in order to make a decision on how you should approach a certain project. Our hope is that by sharing a compare / contrast overview of the costs — making a photo book vs. printing the individual pages and putting them in an album — you will feel fully informed and be able to make your decisions accordingly.
I say this a lot in memory keeping: BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND. You’ll see the base price for each photo book size and cover type and how much each would be with the maximum number of pages. We’ll then show you what a similar album would look like with printed pages that get slipped into Page Protectors, and all of that put into a D-ring album. All physical products we’re referring to are found in our shop or you can check with your local craft retailer as well.
8×8 Photo Book
Faux Leather Cover: $55.99
Custom Photo Cover: $61.99
Additional Sides (one side of a page): $2/each
TOTAL FOR A FAUX LEATHER BOOK WITH 60 PAGES = $135.99
TOTAL FOR A CUSTOM PHOTO COVER BOOK WITH 60 PAGES = $141.99
8×8 Album: $14.99 – $19.99 (depends on the cover material)
Big Pack of 8×8 Page Protectors: $29.99
(120) 8×8 Prints (enough to fill all 60 page protectors): $118.80
(60) 8×8 Prints (same number as photo book max): $59.40
TOTAL with all 60 Page Protectors filled = $163.78 – 168.78
TOTAL with same number of pages/prints as photo book max = $104.38 – $109.38
10×10 Photo Book
Faux Leather Cover: $79.99
Custom Photo Cover: $87.99
Additional Sides (one side of a page): $3/each
TOTAL FOR A FAUX LEATHER BOOK WITH 60 PAGES = $199.99
TOTAL FOR A CUSTOM PHOTO COVER BOOK WITH 60 PAGES = $207.99
* No 10×10 album comparison at this time … but you guys! We’re launching this size of physical products (albums + page protectors + app page prints) in 2017!
12×12 Photo Book
Faux Leather Cover: $90.99
Custom Photo Cover: $93.99
Additional Sides (one side of a page): $3/each
TOTAL FOR A FAUX LEATHER BOOK WITH 60 PAGES = $210.99
TOTAL FOR A CUSTOM PHOTO COVER BOOK WITH 60 PAGES = $213.99
12×12 Album: $19.99 – $34.99 (depends on the cover material)
Big Pack of 12×12 Page Protectors: $29.99
120 – 12×12 Prints (enough to fill all 60 page protectors): $238.80
60 – 12×12 Prints (same number as photo book max): $119.40
TOTAL with all 60 Page Protectors filled = $288.78 – $303.78
TOTAL with same number of pages/prints as photo book max = $169.38 – $184.38
Here are a few things to consider when choosing between photo books + prints:
1. Is storage space an issue? Photo books take up significantly less space than albums so if space is very limited, photo books are a great way to conserve space.
2. Is your project ongoing? When working on a project that you want to add to over time, an Album and Page Protectors usually make more sense since you can easily add more to your album, whenever you want and as often as you want. If you have a “complete project” (vacation album, family yearbook, baby book, etc.), then a photo book is a great way to print all of those memories in one complete book.
3. Do you want to customize the cover? There are so many fun + creative ways to customize the cover of our photo books! See this post for some ideas.
4. Is cost a factor? Overall, the cost of albums + page protectors + prints is slightly less than that of photo books, so if space isn’t an issue, you may prefer the lower price point of that option.
5. Are you gifting? Both are great gift options — the receiver is sure to love seeing all of your memories captured beautifully!
6. Are you creating a “family yearbook” style of project with 2-page layouts for each of 52 (or 53) weeks? We understand that the maximum number of pages allowed in our photo books exceeds the number of pages that you will have for the year which will mean printing your full year in more than one book. The beauty of that is you can spread out the cost during the year and you also won’t have to wait a full year to flip through the pages to enjoy your work! It’s also likely that if you print the first half of your book part way thorough the year, it may be just what you need to keep you excited and motivated to stay on track and finish strong. *wink*
Just as with scrapbooking in general … it always comes down to personal preference. We’re here to offer options and also inform you (with total transparency) on the cost comparison. No matter if you’re using the app to preserve your memories or using the digital product or physical product … it’s ALL scrapbooking. It’s all good.
Are you new or do you need a reminder of how Project Life works and the various options available? This short & sweet video will give you an overview.
In honor of the pending launch of our photo books, we will be giving away 3 copies of a book that I put together in the app just for you! You know my recipe pages? I’ve brought 20 of them together in this little custom 8×8 photo book made in the app and printed through the app. It’s not for purchase. It’s just for 3 of you! Want a chance to be one of those 3 people? We will randomly select from those who place a photo book order within the first few days of the launch (which we are hoping is next week). So . . . get your pages ready so once they are launched, you can place your order for your book and be automatically entered for a chance to win!